Mining companies and exporters have requested the Government to lift the ban, which is supposed to continue till September 27, 2012 according to a PTI report. South District Collector, Mr ND Agarwal, in his order, issued last week has said that the transportation should be stopped with immediate effect as it was affecting the general commuters, school-going children and others, using the road. The ban covers entire South Goa which has more than 50 mining leases spread in talukas like Sanguem and Quepem. The mining companies have claimed that the ban is unwarranted as only lumpy ore is transported during the monsoon, noted the report.
Goa Mineral Ore Exporters’ Association Secretary, Glenn Kalavampara, has requested the State Government to withdraw the ban, as it is denting the prospects of the mining trade. 'Only lumpy ore is ferried to the jetties (on the river front) during monsoon. The fines (miniscule particles of ore) are not transported during this season,' Kalavampara said, adding that the Government should permit the lumpy shipments during monsoon. 'However, if any mining company wants to do shipment of fines then they should also be allowed provided they are not creating any adverse conditions on the road,' the official pointed out.
The district administration has said that the ban was imposed after receiving several representations from the local bodies including village panchayats, who had pointed out to the slippery road conditions during monsoon due to truck traffic. Agarwal told the agency that the ban would be reconsidered in the next couple of days. 'We will have to consult all the stakeholders and complainants before reconsidering the ban,' he added.